Plan to Eat makes planning nutritious healthy meals for your family so easy! It’s just an easy click and drag to plan out weeks of healthy meals, and they give you a shopping list to match! Be sure to check out their website!
This old fashioned molasses gingerbread recipe is lightly sweetened with nutrient rich molasses. The ginger can be very soothing to the stomach and aids in digestion. Ginger is a warming food and combined with the nutritive molasses, makes a great fall treat.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hr
Yield: 1 Loaf
- 1 3⁄4 cups plus 2 Tbsp flour (or flour substitute)
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 5 Tbsp butter softened at room temperature (Earth Balance is a great dairy-free substitute)
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- Grease an 8 x 8 cake pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and creamy.
- Add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat until well combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pour in the molasses in a slow, steady stream, beating all the while.
- Add half of the sifted dry ingredients and mix just until well combined.
- Mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Slowly pour in the cold water and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35–40 mins.
- Let cool in the pan about 1 hour before serving.
- Cut the cake into squares and dust with powdered sugar.
- Yields: 16 two-inch pieces.