A spice- and herb-infused broth makes this speedy shrimp pho recipe taste like it simmered all day.
- 6 ounces brown-rice or regular banh pho, (Vietnamese wide rice noodles)
- 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 stick cinnamon
- 1 inch fresh ginger sliced and cut into strips
- 1-2 star anise (optional)
- 3 green onions trimmed and cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken thinly sliced cooked pork, or cooked shrimp
- 2 cups shredded bok choy or bean sprouts, (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil cilantro, and/or mint leaves
- Sliced fresh jalapeño chile peppers or Asian chili sauce, (Sriracha sauce) (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine broth, fish sauce, cinnamon, ginger, and, if desired, star anise. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add green onions; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add chicken; simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute more. Remove and discard cinnamon and star anise.
- Divide cooked noodles among soup bowls. Ladle broth mixture over noodles. Serve Fast Pho with bok choy (if desired), herbs, jalapeño peppers (if desired), and lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving (4)
- Calories: 310
- Protein: 24 g
- Sugar: 3 g
- Carbohydrate: 38 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 62 mg
- Sodium: 900 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
Notes: Could easily be made vegetarian! Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and leave out the meat!